Review: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck
“Because when we give too many fucks, when we choose to give a fuck about everything, then we feel as though we are perpetually entitled to feel comfortable and happy at all times, that’s when life fucks us.” – Mark Manson
As if the title doesn’t proclaim it enough, this is not your momma’s self help book. In fact, this book is a sobering version of a self help book. Still jam packed with solid psychological based, helpful information, but there’s nothing that Mark Manson will sugar coat for you. This no-bullshit approach is freakishly inspiring with some rather profound points about how we view life and how we measure the things we deem important. The concepts are basic but often forgotten and Mark does a fantastic job of spinning your typical thoughts into a space that is a little more edgy.
This book hammers in the idea that it’s not necessarily about filling ourselves with positive thoughts, but more so being able to handle the idea that sometimes things go wrong and we have to figure out how to deal with them. It’s about getting honest with yourself about your values and finding the comfort in the uncomfortable.
What I loved about this book:
- The story telling! He took historical examples and spiced them up to be fun and readable which made them way more relatable.
- Mark’s approach is vastly different from how most authors approach self help. It was nice to have an alternative perspective on topics that I visit regularly.
- This was such a fun and funny read, I couldn’t put it down.
- Mark strips these topics down to their rawness. It gives you a pure look at how we view the world.
This book is for you:
- If you are a people pleaser or need help deciding where to put your energy
- If you are looking for mental stimulation
- If you prefer analytics over spirituality
- If you prefer down-to-earth reads
This book is not for you:
- If you are looking for a spiritual read
- If you detest profanity or the use of examples that include cocaine and hookers.
- If you are not into self help books.
- If you are interested in diving a bit deeper into the psyche. Mark’s overviews a lot of more basic concepts, but again in such a way that is empowering and refreshing, but still not crazy far down the rabbit hole
Overall this book is a fun read and a fresh perspective. Definitely worth the purchase and time if you want to grow.
“Everything worthwhile in life is won through surmounting the associated negative experience. Any attempt to escape the negative, to avoid it or quash it or silence it, only backfires. The avoidance of suffering is a form of suffering. The avoidance of struggle is a struggle. The denial of failure is a failure. Hiding what is shameful is itself a form of shame.
Pain is an inextricable thread in the fabric of life, and to tear it out is not only impossible, but destructive: attempting to tear it out unravels everything else with it. To try to avoid pain is to give too many fucks about pain. In contrast, if you’re able to not give a fuck about the pain, you become unstoppable." - Mark Manson
Posted on Mon, December 12, 2016
by Nichole Eaton filed under